Sunday, June 28, 2009

Great American Road Trip Day 2

We started out the day in Chattanooga bright and early. Our first stop of the day was the Incline Railway which goes straight up the side of Lookout Mountain. I do mean straight up!



At the top of the mountain is a National Park, Point Park, where the infamous Battle for Chattanooga took place during the Civil War. Yeah, we still lose that one. But it was neat to visit and try to imagine fighting for your life on the steep, wooded, rocky slopes of Lookout Mountain.



Our next adventure took us to Rock City Gardens, also on top of Lookout Mountain.

We were not tempted to jump although by this point I had already lost my sense of humor.



Good thing Wes lost all that weight...notice the sign over the pass.

If you've never visited you really should

They say on a clear day you can see seven states from the top of Lookout Mountain.


But I dont' know...it was kinda hazy so we may have only seen about 3 or 4 of 'em.




Next we headed out for Ruby Falls. I'm already exhausted from all the hiking we've done but I love a good cavern and how could I possible pass up the highest underground waterfall?



So we hiked some more, although in much cooler conditions.



Once again Wes was chosen out of a crowd and asked to be the "caboose" of our group. He was to stay behind and pick up any stragglers on the tour. He took himself WAAYYY to seriously.



Flat Glenn decided he didn't like caves and such and begged to stay at the hotel and catch up on some light reading:



That evening we ate some great food in a great little local dive. Yum!
We ended the day with Transformers: Revenge of the Fallen. It was awesome! Non-stop action. The language was a little rough but I don't think my kids have been scarred for life because of it.

By the end of the day I had lost all reason and was not capable of blogging coherently. I'll try to post Day 3 in the morning so I'll be caught up. I know you all are sittin' on the edges of your seats with bated breath waiting to see what shenanigans we are up to!

4 comments:

Kendra said...

If Flat Glenn gets too surly for you, I'll gladly take over for him. What a fun trip! LOVE Rock City. LOVE it!

Carpool Queen said...

Rock City is on my list! Mr. CPQ and I sat up for an hour last night planning a GINORMOUS travel trip we're taking later this fall. I'm getting psyched!

Alison said...

How much fun is that?? Gorgeous picture of the waterfall.

Amber said...

I'm waiting. Hello. I feel all out of it when I'm not up in everyone's bizness.

Looks like a mahvalus time. Only thing missing is me. ;)